Friday, February 28, 2014

Well Blanche is home at least

Well we got Blanche home at last. Was a fairly uneventful trip although we did overheat once on the way. This required me to pull into a church parking lot which luckily had an outdoor spigot behind it. About 2.5 gallons of water and a little time and we were on the move again with no further interruptions the rest of the way home. I am still not sure what caused the overheat but then I am not sure I checked the water level itself at any time during the inspection stage. No apparent leaks since then so Im thinking that it is likely the case that it was just low to begin with. 
Of course when the children saw it we had to stay in it for a night nearly right off. That morning we awoke to single digit temperatures and it was somewhat chilly inside even tho I had taken the fireplace like electric heater from the house and installed it in between the seats in the front. The kids were thrilled and wanted to stay the second, and third, and every night since. We however haven't yet until I get a proper 10 guage cord to plug it in with. 

I've also ordered an extend-a-stay like kit so that we can hook up the external 20 lb bottle that is full of propane that the PO stated went with it. I'm not sure that he wasn't mistaken because I can see no place at all where the lines have been modified to allow its connection.Regardless I already knew that I wanted to be able to use portable bottles for some situations anyhow so no biggy there.

It is supposed to get down to the single digits for the next few days and since I added only water during the overheat on the trip home I went out today after being reminded by my brother in law and drained the water from it completely (radiator and engine) since I have not been to town to purchase antifreeze yet. Something which I wanted to replace so I knew its age anyhow. 

I also have ordered a windshield and side window cover for it which was fairly reasonable. Past experiences showed those to be invaluable for controlling indoors temperatures in the past. I also ordered an electrical tester, another electrical adapter (could not find one in it, then after ordering one the children found 3 of them stashed somewhere). I also contacted the propane company and am having a 250 gallon tank set nearby and running a line underground to a spot near the drive so that it can be hooked up with the same hose as would go to the 20 lb portable tank.

I'm getting anxious for some warmer weather to get brakes checked out and replaced, wheel bearings packed, windshield washer arm bushings replaced, new plugs wires rotor and cap, as well as insuring I have a ballast resistor on hand just in case. Any old Mopar enthusiasts will understand the reasoning there for sure. Still needing a wire wheel for the rims and mirrors to get them painted up and into shape as well.   

The wiring under the hood and beside the battery seems to be a bit of a mystery. There are a number of wires that have been terminated to connect directly to the battery terminals that I have no idea what go to. That is an investigation for warmer weather also. 

Peace and happiness to all for now. Cannot wait to fully move into it! Thanks for sharing our journey thus far with us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment